Re: Missing file versions for a bunch of dll/exe files in Windows builds - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Missing file versions for a bunch of dll/exe files in Windows builds
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
>> wrote:
>> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Michael Paquier
>> > <michael.paquier@gmail.com>

>> > At least some fo that is intentional - things that are considered
>> > "internal"
>> > were not given a version resource intentionally. E.g. the
>> > conversion_procs
>> > is very intentional.
>>
>> Why? Version resources are kinda handy for installers to reliably
>> figure out whether or not something should be upgraded.
>

> I think the general argument was "maintenance overhead". This was back
> before the 8.0 release, so my memory is somewhat sketchy :)
>
> Which also means of course that we can reconsider that decision. But if we
> do, we need to support it equally in mingw and msvc.

Well it's pretty darn close to zero maintenance isn't it? We don't
even have to maintain rc files with the proposed patch (if my
extremely weak perl-fu is reading the code correctly).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company