Re: [HACKERS] Exclude pg_internal.init from base backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Exclude pg_internal.init from base backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Petr Jelinek
<petr.jelinek@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Not specific problem to this patch, but I wonder if it should be made
> more clear that those files (there are couple above of what you added)
> are skipped no matter which directory they reside in.

Agreed, it is a good idea to tell in the docs how this behaves. We
could always change things so as the comparison is based on the full
path like what is done for pg_control, but that does not seem worth
complicating the code.

pg_internal.init can, and do, appear in multiple different directories. pg_control is always in the same place. So they're not the same thing.

So +1 for documenting the difference in how these are handled, as this is important to know for somebody writing an external tool for it.

It also seems the list in the documentation is not in sync with the code. AFAICT docs are not mentioning the current_logfile. This seems to be a miss in 19dc233c32f ?