Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Where to put shared designs/images - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Where to put shared designs/images
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
Le 11/02/2014 02:10, Josh Berkus a écrit :

>>> I think github (or maybe bitbucket, does mercurial have the same
>>> issues as git for dealing with images?) is probably the way to go. we
>>> need something where people can do social coding without a lot of
>>> permissions overhead. (As an example, our graphic designer did some
>>> work on the postgres logos for LISA this year, but couldn't get past
>>> the pgfoundry process to give that back publicly; if it had been on
>>> github, it would have been much simpler to do a pull request).
>> Definitely. A simple idea would be to create a git repo dedicated to
>> advocacy in the organization "postgres" of github
>> (https://github.com/postgres/). Push permissions can be handled easily
>> from there. My 2c.
>> Regards,
>
> So I'm happy with github as a choice.  However, I don't know that
> there's any way to do "link to the latest version of raw file X", so
> we'd still want to publish stuff to FTP.postgresql.org, no?

First of all, this is a great idea !

We've been hosting the French-related advocacy files at github for a
while. It's a decent way to share things.

https://github.com/postgresqlfr/pgfr_materials

You can have raw link and history link such as

Latest version:
https://raw2.github.com/postgresqlfr/pgfr_materials/master/advocacy/posters/keepcalm/Keep-calm-and-use-postgres.png

an older version:
https://raw2.github.com/postgresqlfr/pgfr_materials/9316144e077fe3c6f084211eb06384d83b37a26d/advocacy/posters/keepcalm/Keep-calm-and-use-postgres.png

However space is an issue because even though Github does not have a
strict limit for the max repo size, they do warn people to avoid repo
larger than 1GB and files larger than 100MB. With a lot of bitmap files
(think Photoshop or Gimp) it may become a problem.

Repo size at github is not likely to be a problem for us, we have an exception already.

Repo size for end users probably is.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/