Re: [pgsql-www] Where to put shared designs/images - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Where to put shared designs/images
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 11/02/2014 02:10, Josh Berkus a écrit :

>>> I think github (or maybe bitbucket, does mercurial have the same
>>> issues as git for dealing with images?) is probably the way to go. we
>>> need something where people can do social coding without a lot of
>>> permissions overhead. (As an example, our graphic designer did some
>>> work on the postgres logos for LISA this year, but couldn't get past
>>> the pgfoundry process to give that back publicly; if it had been on
>>> github, it would have been much simpler to do a pull request).
>> Definitely. A simple idea would be to create a git repo dedicated to
>> advocacy in the organization "postgres" of github
>> (https://github.com/postgres/). Push permissions can be handled easily
>> from there. My 2c.
>> Regards,
>
> So I'm happy with github as a choice.  However, I don't know that
> there's any way to do "link to the latest version of raw file X", so
> we'd still want to publish stuff to FTP.postgresql.org, no?

First of all, this is a great idea !

We've been hosting the French-related advocacy files at github for a
while. It's a decent way to share things.

https://github.com/postgresqlfr/pgfr_materials

You can have raw link and history link such as

Latest version:
https://raw2.github.com/postgresqlfr/pgfr_materials/master/advocacy/posters/keepcalm/Keep-calm-and-use-postgres.png

an older version:

https://raw2.github.com/postgresqlfr/pgfr_materials/9316144e077fe3c6f084211eb06384d83b37a26d/advocacy/posters/keepcalm/Keep-calm-and-use-postgres.png

However space is an issue because even though Github does not have a
strict limit for the max repo size, they do warn people to avoid repo
larger than 1GB and files larger than 100MB. With a lot of bitmap files
(think Photoshop or Gimp) it may become a problem.

https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota#rule-of-thumb-1gb-per-repository-100mb-per-file
https://help.github.com/articles/working-with-large-files

With the PostgreSQLFr repo that's ok because we don't do much bitmap
and our activity is pretty low (1 poster and 1 leaflet every year).

The other problem I see is with git (and versioning software in
general). From my experience, using git to create graphics in a
collaborative way is a great idea but it's not really practical. It's
hard to share the sources a graphic file the way you share code. You
need to share the fonts, the brushes, color palettes, etc. (Some of
these materials are not free and connot be pushed to github). So most of
the time, the git repo is seen as a backup solution, and we end up
pushing the final files (PNG or JPEG) instead of the sources (SVG, XCF,
etc.)... The other problem is that you don't really do diff or merge
with graphic files. It doesn't have any sense.

So all in all, Git is good for sharing a few small graphics files but
not for "graphic hacking". And if we just need a place to store/share
files , I would recommend an easier plateform, that can be used by
people would know (and don't want to know) what a versioning tool is...

I think the PostgreSQL wiki may be a good option. There's already a lot
of content there : https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Advocacy and it's
easy to use.

Otherwise If you want it to be outside the PG infra maybe things like
dropbox or google drive would be fine.

--
damien