Re: [HACKERS] RADIUS fallback servers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [HACKERS] RADIUS fallback servers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Friday, March 3, 2017, Adam Brightwell <adam.brightwell@crunchydata.com> wrote:
I've given an initial review of this patch. It applies cleanly and
compiles without issue as of 6da9759.  I'm going to continue with
testing it against a set of RADIUS servers in the next few days. But
in the meantime, I have a few questions (below).

> It supports multiple RADIUS servers. For all other parameters (secret, port,
> identifier) one can specify either the exact same number of entries, in
> which case each server gets it's own, or exactly one entry in which case
> that entry will apply to all servers. (Or zero entries for everything except
> secret, which will make it the default).

I wonder if removing the complexity of maintaining two separate lists
for the server and port would be a better/less complex approach.  For
instance, why not go with a list of typical 'host:port' strings for
'radiusservers'?  If no port is specified, then simply use the default
for that specific host. Therefore, we would not have to worry about
keeping the two lists in sync. Thoughts?

If we do that we should do it for all the parameters, no? So not just host:port, but something like host:port:secret:identifier? Mixing the two ways of doing it would be quite confusing I think.

And I wonder if that format wouldn't get even more confusing if you for example want to use default ports, but non-default secrets.

I can see how it would probably be easier in some of the simple cases, but I wonder if it wouldn't make it worse in a lot of other cases.

> Each server is tried in order. If it responds positive, auth is OK. If it
> responds negative, auth is rejected. If it does not respond at all, we move
> on to the next one.
>
> I'm wondering if in doing this we should also make the RADIUS timeout a
> configurable as HBA option, since it might become more important now?

Yes, I think this would make sense and would be a good idea.

//Magnus

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/