Duplicated oids between tables - problem or not? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Duplicated oids between tables - problem or not?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I noticed after a pg_upgrade on a system, that the same oid is used
both for a database and a user (repeated many times for different
combinations of databases and users). This is because pg_upgrade
doesn't preserve the database oid, and it reused the oid of the row in
pg_authid.

The reason I noticed this was that it confuses the hell out of
pgadmin. This is clearly a bug in a SQL query pgadmin uses, and I'm
going to go fix that.

But is this something that can cause us problems somewhere else in the
system? ISTM the same thing could happen after oid wraparound, but
that pg_upgrade makes it a lot more likely to happen. So I'm thinking
it shouldn't be a problem since the oid's are in different tables, but
are there any other parts of the system where this could cause an
actual problem?

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/