Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers?
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 12:45 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 1:26 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
> > On 2019-Jan-19, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > I didn't come to the conclusion that we just should leave everything
> > > as-is.  I was hoping to either get to a point where either we come up
> > > with a sensible way to provide a bug number or other identifier for
> > > things we typically want to link to from commits, or decide that the bug
> > > number isn't really all that useful and get rid of it.
> >
> > Well, we already have bug numbers in bugs submitted via the website and
> > they seem to work pretty well.

This really depends on what the expectations are.  There's certainly a
lot of people who would say that our bug handling system is rather..
lacking.  I agree that we are doing a pretty good job just assigning a
bug number to bugs submitted via the web form, but that's a really low
bar and doesn't do things we want.

Yeah, no shit. We are regularly up as examples of a crazy community that way :)

> > What if we add an email interface that creates bugs with IDs, but
> > nothing more than that?  I'm thinking a special address such as
> > pgsql-create-bug@postgresql.org that creates the bug ID and resends to
> > pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org CCing the bug reporter, after changing Subject
> > to include the bug ID and the From/Sender to an address under our
> > control (to avoid DKIM problems with the reporter's domain).  It would
> > work normally using pgsql-bugs from that point on.

Yes, this could possibly work, and would be an independent application
which wouldn't require hacking up pglister, which addresses one of the
concerns raised.

Yes, and it would be reasonably easy to "police".

> > If we have our system preserve References/In-Reply-To headers, I think
> > it would even work to add a CC the special address in the middle of a
> > regular thread in a mailing list (any mailing list, not just pgsql-bugs)
> > to spawn a new bug.
>
> We could do something like that yes, and we've discussed doing it before.

Right.

> It would work as long as we have some sort of "moderation queue" on it,
> otherwise we'll be assigning and reposting a lot of spam.

One thing I really don't want to do is make the moderators of some list
like this the ones who have to make the decision about if a report is
really a bug or not.  For one thing, it's at least sometimes useful to
have the question asked and answered for the archives, whatever it is,
even if it isn't a bug.

Right, but that's a problem we *already* have.

We will have to keep assigning those bug ids. The idea is we need to block pure spam. Just like moderators of the bug form and of the docs form have to do that *today*. Except it's likely going ot be more if it is a public email address.

The reason being that once we resend it from *our* address, it will otherwise bypass all spam filters, and *our* addresses will start getting penalized for the spam. Given that for this to work we have to change the sender/from to be noreply@postgresql.org (or similar), like we do with docs and bugs today.