Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers?
Date
List pgsql-www
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 12:45 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > One thing I really don't want to do is make the moderators of some list
> > like this the ones who have to make the decision about if a report is
> > really a bug or not.  For one thing, it's at least sometimes useful to
> > have the question asked and answered for the archives, whatever it is,
> > even if it isn't a bug.
>
> Right, but that's a problem we *already* have.
>
> We will have to keep assigning those bug ids. The idea is we need to block
> pure spam. Just like moderators of the bug form and of the docs form have
> to do that *today*. Except it's likely going ot be more if it is a public
> email address.

Sure, I don't have any issue with having a new system go through
moderation in the same way that the webform submissions go through
moderation today, to just filter out pure spam.

Not sure why you think it'll be more spam than the amount we get to our
other lists, but it doesn't seem like that matters all that much either
way, it'll be whatever it ends up being.

> The reason being that once we resend it from *our* address, it will
> otherwise bypass all spam filters, and *our* addresses will start getting
> penalized for the spam. Given that for this to work we have to change the
> sender/from to be noreply@postgresql.org (or similar), like we do with docs
> and bugs today.

Right, we'd definitely need to have moderation in place to avoid having
our servers sending out spam and getting penalized for it (I don't know
that this is really all that different from the existing situation with
our lists, since it's our servers and most email providers care a lot
more about the server sending the spam than about what the From: address
in the spam is...).

Anyway, I think we agree here that we'd want this to be moderated, to
avoid having our systems send out spam, either way, so the rest is
likely moot.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment