Re: downloading list archive mboxes - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: downloading list archive mboxes
Date
List pgsql-www
On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 9:12 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 09:01:07PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 8:47 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 11:40 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I used to be able to wget the "download mbox" link.
> >> https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-hackers/
> >>
> >> I hope that can be fixed, unless it was deliberate, which would be
> >> unfortunate.
> >>
> > It was intentional.

Oh, it's unfortunate then.  I'm used to using wget to retrieve a mailbox on a
remote host over SSH.  In the immediate case, the "resend email" link is not
working (maybe it did work, but I cannot find the mail and I gave up waiting).

When I finally saved it in my web browser, it took me 5 minutes to realize that
I'd saved it locally and that I'd need to scp the mailbox to the remote side.

I've also retrieved the mailbox to a remote server to retrieve someone's
patchset to compile on the remote side.

> It was indeed deliberate. Are there any locations where it still *tells*
> you to use the archives/antispam method?

Not to my knowledge - just muscle memory.

> FWIW, the old method should still work fine as long as you provide the
> username/password in basic auth up front.

I tried but haven't gotten this to work yet.

curl -u 'archives:antispam' -L -v http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/126b4480-359c-b745-a713-336ae96d1936%40inbox.ru

Um, that's not trying the mbox though? If I use that very command but put in /mbox/ instead of /flat/ it works for me.

> Can you explain exactly the scenario in which it fails? Like, what command
> did you actually use?

I used this command:
wget https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/126b4480-359c-b745-a713-336ae96d1936%40inbox.ru

and the web server happily responded with a 200 OK, so wget didn't retry, as it
used to.

Well, again that URl i actually not for the mbox, so it just returns the thread.

But yes, if you again replace it with the /mbox/ part, it will give you a 200 OK and ask for community auth. To fetch that mbox with wget, you need to use:

wget --auth-no-challenge https://archives:antispam@www.postgresql.org/message-id/mbox/126b4480-359c-b745-a713-336ae96d1936%40inbox.ru

If it had responded with HTTP 403, wget would've retried with basic
authentication (I think it's deliberate and even suggested by RFC to initially
attempt without sending a password, even if one is available).

Yes, but AFAIK it would now no longer work at all for community authentication because it would pop up a basic auth prompt there, no?