Re: Uh-oh: documentation PDF output no longer builds in HEAD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Uh-oh: documentation PDF output no longer builds in HEAD
Date
Re: Uh-oh: documentation PDF output no longer builds in HEAD  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> When you say it's half the size - is that half the size of the preprocessed
> PDF or is it also after the stuff we do on the website PDFs using
> jpdftweak? IIRC that tweak is only there to deal with the size, and
> specifically it deals with "bookmarks" which sounds a lot like this...

I'm just looking at the size of the file produced by "make postgres-A4.pdf".

I don't know anything about jpdftweak, but if it's being used to get rid
of unreferenced hyperlink anchors, maybe we could dispense with that step
after this goes in.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping.  You can see how it's used in the mk-release-pdfs script on borka. It doesn't explain why we're doing it, that's probably in the list archives somewhere, but it does show what we do. So it should be easy enough to see if the benefit goes away :) (it would also be nice for build times - that pdftweak step is very very slow)