Re: Top features in 9.6? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Top features in 9.6?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
On 2016/04/12 11:46, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Josh berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>> So, let's make a list.
>>
>> Mine:
>>
>> * parallel query (seqscan & aggregation)
>> * bloom filter supporting indexes
>>
>> The generic progress reporting framework is tempting, but seems hard to
>> explain as a marquee feature.  What else have we got?
>
> I like the progress reporting, we need to do that with a lot more stuff.
>
> postgres_fdw join pushdown is pretty huge.
>
> Relation extension speed improvements are pretty huge too.
>
> snapshot_too_old is quite important in some environments.
>
> Degree-based geometry funcs
> Phrase full text search
> jsonb_insert
> Index-only scans with partial indexes was improved
> synch_commit = 'remote_apply'

I think "No more full-table vacuums [1]" sounds like it could be mentioned
more prominently.  People are quite excited about it [2].

Yes!

I think that may turn out to be one of those "hidden gems" of this release. As in being the one that nobody talks about now, but then a few years down the road it's the one that everybody talks about. But it's somewhat hard to explain to people who (1) don't know how the system really works (though that would count for things like snapshot too old as well) or (2) actually have run into the current problem (why hey, that's also the same with snapshot too old)