Re: Help with authentication on Debain/Ubuntu installation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Help with authentication on Debain/Ubuntu installation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 1:46 PM stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
I am trying to set up to do some work with pg_dump, and I would like to be
able to connect from my normal user to do this. This is on a Ubunt 18.04
installation. I have added the follwing to pg_hba.conf:

host    all             all             0.0.0.0/0               md5
hostssl all             all             0.0.0.0/0               md5

But when I try to login like this:

psql stan postgres -W

I get the following error, and yes, I set postgres'es password to something
I know:

tan@stantest:~$ psql stan postgres -W
Password:
psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  Peer authentication
failed for user "postgres"
stan@stantest:~$

What am I doing wrong?

By default, Debian has a row in pg_hba.conf that enforces peer specifically for the postgres superuser when connecting over unix sockets (which is a very good thing from a security perspective). You will have to find that row further up in the file and comment it out (since the first row that matches will be used).

//Magnus