Re: Online recovery of Tablespace - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Online recovery of Tablespace
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 2:41 AM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am designing backup strategy for a PostgreSQL database (v9.3). I have a scenario for recovery of tablespaces:

1. Backup of whole database (including individual tablespaces which are stored on different disks) has been taken at 11AM

2. My disk which stores tablespace- tblspc1 crashed at 2:00PM

3. Can I restore the backup of 11AM (only for one tablespace) and then recover that tablespace to 2:00PM state?

Is this possible? I have attached the steps I tried (I believe logically my steps are wrong, since I am using recovery.conf but I am not replacing data directory).

But is there any way to specify in recovery.conf or otherwise that I would allow me to do recovery of transactions of a particular tablespace? A custom solution which occurs to me is using pg_xlogdump contrib. Has anyone tried something similar?

We do not support recovering just one tablespace. You have to recover the whole database.

(I see that you are using EnterpriseDB's propietary version based on the paths, but I don't believe they have made any such extensions either)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/