Re: "RETURNING PRIMARY KEY" syntax extension - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jochem van Dieten
Subject Re: "RETURNING PRIMARY KEY" syntax extension
Date
Re: "RETURNING PRIMARY KEY" syntax extension  (Ian Barwick <ian@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Ian Barwick wrote:
On 14/06/12 18:46, Jochem van Dieten wrote:
> I haven't checked the code, but I am hoping it will help with the problem
> where a RETURNING * is added to a statement that is not an insert or update
> by the JDBC driver. That has been reported on the JDBC list at least twice,
> and the proposed workaround is neither very elegant nor very robust:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/pgsql.interfaces.jdbc/7WY60JX3qyo/-v1fqDqLQKwJ

Unfortunately that seems to be a JDBC-specific issue, which is outside
of the scope of this particular patch (which proposes additional server-side
syntax intended to make RETURNING * operations more efficient for
certain use cases, but which is in itself not a JDBC change).

But the obvious way to fix the JDBC issue is not to fix it by adding a 'mini parser' on the JDBC side, but to make SELECT ... RETURNING PRIMARY KEY a regular select that silently ignores the returning clause and doesn't throw an error on the server-side.

That might still be outside the scope of this particular patch, but it would provide (additional) justification if it were supported.

Jochem

--
Jochem van Dieten
http://jochem.vandieten.net/