Re: BUG #7521: Cannot disable WAL log while using pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: BUG #7521: Cannot disable WAL log while using pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:

> Excerpts from Boy de Laat's message of jue sep 06 17:24:35 -0300 2012:
> >
> > At the time my backup starts i see much WAL logs being generated?
>
> I guess we'd need to see what the generated WAL logs are, either with
> xlogdump or XLOG_DEBUG turned on ...

Can a long running pg_dump transaction have some ill effect on the amount
of WAL generation ? It can definitely cause unusual additional bloat if the
database is being continuously updated during that period, but not sure it
can cause additional WAL.

OP probably needs to tell us whats the size of the database, how's the
access pattern, how long does it take to dump the entire database and how
many more WAL files generated during this process compared to average rate.

Thanks,
Pavan