Re: Too frequent checkpoints ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: Too frequent checkpoints ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
.>
> BTW, the cause of the problem is that the following sequences happens.
>
> 1. archive_timeout switches WAL file because checkpoint WAL record has
>     has been written since last switch

Thank you for explaining that. I also noticed that the WAL file switch
happens after archive_timeout seconds irrespective of whether
archive_mode is turned ON or not. This happens because we don't check
if XLogArchivingActive() in CheckArchiveTimeout() function. It looks
wrong to me. But if it's that way for a good reason, shouldn't we at
least document this behaviour ?

Thanks,
Pavan

--