Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

Wow, OK.  In my view, that makes the chain conversion code pretty much
essential, because if you had WARM without chain conversion then the
visibility map gets more or less irrevocably less effective over time,
which sounds terrible.

Yes. I decided to complete chain conversion patch when I realised that IOS will otherwise become completely useful if large percentage of rows are updated just once. So I agree. It's not an optional patch and should get in with the main WARM patch.

But it sounds to me like even with the chain
conversion, it might take multiple vacuum passes before all visibility
map bits are set, which isn't such a great property (thus e.g.
fdf9e21196a6f58c6021c967dc5776a16190f295).

The chain conversion algorithm first converts the chains during vacuum and then checks if the page can be set all-visible. So I'm not sure why it would take multiple vacuums before a page is set all-visible. The commit you quote was written to ensure that we make another attempt to set the page all-visible after al dead tuples are removed from the page. Similarly, we will convert all WARM chains to HOT chains and then check for all-visibility of the page.

Thanks,
Pavan