Re: Turning auto-analyze off (was Re: [GENERAL] Unusually high IO for autovacuum worker) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: Turning auto-analyze off (was Re: [GENERAL] Unusually high IO for autovacuum worker)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Pavan Deolasee
> <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can write a patch in next couple of days if we are willing to accept
>> for this release. I think it should be fairly easy and non-intrusive.
>
> I think it's too late to consider this for 9.3, but I think we should
> entertain it for 9.4.

Its going to be fairly non

> The biggest problem I see is that the naming of the new reloptions
> might end up being something kind of unintuitive, like
> autovacuum_vacuum_enabled and autovacuum_analyze_enabled.  You need a
> degree in PostgreSQLology to understand what that means, but I haven't
> got a better idea.

Yeah, I also thought of those two names. May be autovacuum should have
been called autovacanalyze or something like that. But that's too
late. May be someday we overhaul the maintenance activities and call
it bgmaintainer ? Or have two different threads to do autovacuum and
autoanalyze ?

For now, I can't think of anything better than
autovacuum_vacuum_enabled and autovacuum_analyze_enabled.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee