Re: PgJDBC: code reformat - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Vladimir Sitnikov
Subject Re: PgJDBC: code reformat
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
I've scanned through -ng's checkstyle.xml and there are couple of
issues which I do not like:

1) I do not find its origin in checkstyle/checkstyle
2) I think placing new lines before binary operators makes more sense
as it allows to seamlessly add code
3) "throwsIndent=2" is strange as it would result in confusing code if
"throws" is placed on a new line (its indentation would be exactly the
same as the one of the code block:
https://github.com/impossibl/pgjdbc-ng/blob/develop/src/support/checkstyle.xml#L93

I do not find checkstyle configuration for "Sun convention". The bad
thing is checkstyle's sun_config.xml relies on *default values* and
those default values change from one checkstyle version to another. If
we pick that, we would have to live with a single checkstyle version
for ages (or reformat code with each upgrade).

The bad thing is "checkstyle IDEA plugin" does not allow to pick a
checkstyle version.

Taking that into account, I'm inclined to my original "Google style"
formatting: https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/commit/fbf10a285e8b306c95b6467f5f9c9b7e68cbd6bb

I'll prepare Eclipse formatting configuration.

Vladimir