Re: PgJDBC: code reformat - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Vladimir Sitnikov
Subject Re: PgJDBC: code reformat
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
>Good luck finding the “bug fix” in a whole file reformat

Do you mean "git blame" kind of thing?

If the final state is the same, then there is no difference if it
comes in a single commit or from a series of commits.
"git blame" would be broken anyway, thus we'd better break it sooner.

If you mean bugs introduced by the reformat itself, I believe there
should not be many as there were just a few places where I had to
change code manually.

All the rules that involve some brain like "variable naming", "public
static final order", etc rules are disabled and they are subject to
other PRs.

I think the way to go there is to enable the rules, execute checkstyle
and enjoy all the 100500 errors. Then we configure
<maxAllowedViolations>100500</maxAllowedViolations>. That would make
sure new code is using proper names while the old one is either
deleted eventually or updated.

> with whole file reformats, e.g. “Fixed bug in generated SQL & formatted file to follow conventions”.

I think it is undesired as it would definitely create lots of merge conflicts.

> I should stop with my opinions here… that being said…

Lack of feedback would be much worse.

Vladimir