Re: Fwd: [JDBC] Re: 9.4-1207 behaves differently with server side prepared statements compared to 9.2-1102 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vladimir Sitnikov
Subject Re: Fwd: [JDBC] Re: 9.4-1207 behaves differently with server side prepared statements compared to 9.2-1102
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Generally using a very small sample

That is another issue. Inventing some other algorithm instead of
current "cache after 5 executions" is another effort.

However, I suggest to "learn" from what client is sending.
You suggest to completely ignore that and just prepare for the case
he/she will send "a random value".
Why expect client would stop sending MCVs if we have already seen them
during previous 5 executions?

> That'd not change with the change you propose.

It will.
In my suggestion, the first "explain analyze execute" will match the
"finally cached plan" provided the plan is not treated in a special
way (e.g. replan every time, etc).

> That a prepared statement suddenly performs way differently
>depending on which the first bind values are is not, in any way, easier
>to debug.

It is way easier to debug since *the first* execution plan you get out
of "explain" *matches* the one that will finally be used.
Lots of developers are just not aware of "5 replans by backend".
Lots of the remaining confuse it with "5 non-server-prepared
executions by pgjdbc driver".

In other way: in order to identify a root cause of a slow query you
find bind values. Then you perform explain analyze and you find shiny
fast plan.
Does that immediately ring bells that you need to execute it 6 times
to ensure the plan would still be good?
Well, try being someone not that smart as you are when you answering
this question.

2) In my suggestion, "the first execution would likely to match the plan".

VS>> 3) What about "client sends top most common value 5 times in a row"?
VS>> Why assume "it will stop doing that"?
AF>If 20% of your values are nonunique and the rest is unique you'll get
AF>*drastically* different plans, each performing badly for the other case;
AF>with the unique cardinality plan being extremly bad.

Can you elaborate a bit? I can hardly follow that.

Vladimir