Re: Parallel build with MSVC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Parallel build with MSVC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Christian Ullrich <chris@chrullrich.net> wrote:
> * From: Michael Paquier [mailto:michael.paquier@gmail.com]
>> Why is that? Your patch just has a look at argv[0] to see if that's a
>> debug or release build.
>
> Sorry, forgot to fix that. I originally used Getopt in build.pl, then realized maintaining compatibility was more
important.

> Thanks for noticing; new patches attached; the second one is unmodified.

Thanks for the updated patches, those look good to me. The environment
flag is missing with vcbuild. you'd want to add that at the end.

>> +use File::Spec::Functions qw(splitpath catpath);
>> This is present since at least perl 5.8, so that's not a blocker.
>>
>> vcbuild also supports /m. Wouldn't it make sense to have a environment
>> variable flag for it as well? vcbuild has been replaced by msbuild in
>> VS2010 but I would think that in back-branches this would have value
>> for users still compiling with VS2008 or older, and those are still
>> supported things.
>
> Good point, but I have no installation of 2008 around, so I cannot test it. Perhaps there is someone around who could
dothat (just add the $msbflags as the first argument to vcbuild)?

I forgot that I have actually one! Bumping my Win7 VM CPU from 1 to 2,
and using VS2008 command prompt with vcbuild /m I am not seeing
issues. Moving symbols.out would be the main issue, but I am not
noticing problems related to that.
--
Michael