Re: pg_file_settings view vs. Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_file_settings view vs. Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> writes:
>>> I noticed that in EXEC_BACKEND builds (ie, Windows) the pg_file_settings
>>> view doesn't act as its author presumably intended.  Specifically, it
>>> reads as empty until/unless the current session processes a SIGHUP event.
>
>> I'm just wondering why we did not catch this earlier. If this is
>> because threre's no regression test case for pg_file_settings view,
>
> Yeah, exactly.  Unfortunately I see no way to add a useful test, at least
> not one that will work in installcheck mode.  There's no way to predict
> what will be in the view in that case.  Even for "make check", the output
> would be pretty darn environment-dependent.

And also because this patch had no review input regarding Windows and
EXEC_BACKEND. I would suggest pinging the author (just did so),
waiting for a fix a bit, and move on with 4. if nothing happens. We
usually require that a patch includes support for Windows as a
requirement (see for example discussions about why pg_fincore in not a
contrib module even if it overlaps a bit with pg_prewarm), why would
this patch have a different treatment?
--
Michael