Re: Old record migration to another table made the db slower - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Old record migration to another table made the db slower
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Tomas Vondra <tv@fuzzy.cz> wrote:
> On 5 Září 2013, 8:52, Arun P.L wrote:
>> Actual intention of the migration of old records was to
>> speed up the original_data_table which is used frequently by users. How
>> can I get this problem get this fixed? What are the steps to be followed
>> for the same?
> We'll need a bit more info about the tables / queries. What exactly have
> you done? Show us the commands you've executed. Then show us EXPLAIN
> ANALYZE for the queries.
As you are seeing different plans for the same queries on both tables,
did you actually run ANALYZE on the new table to gather stats that
would allow the planner to build more consistent plans?

>> My postgresql version is 7.4.3.   Thanks in Advance for your helps,Arun
> First of all, 7.4 reached end-of-life ~3 years ago. And 7.4.3 is not even
> the last release in this branch - there are ~30 updates. Go and upgrade to
> 7.4.30 now.
In your case it might be even worth directly to upgrade to 9.2.
pg_dump of 9.2 is supported down to 7.4 if I recall correctly.
--
Michael