Re: psql client memory usage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: psql client memory usage
Date
List pgsql-general
    Tim Kane wrote:

> I have a fairly simple query, running on a particularly large table.  For
> illustration:
>
> echo "select * from really_big_table;" | psql my_database > /dev/null

See psql's FETCH_COUNT. From the manpage:

       FETCH_COUNT
           If this variable is set to an integer value > 0, the results
of
           SELECT queries are fetched and displayed in groups of that
many
           rows, rather than the default behavior of collecting the
entire
           result set before display. Therefore only a limited amount of
           memory is used, regardless of the size of the result set.

Best regards,
--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: http://www.manitou-mail.org