Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Please find attached a new version of the patch incorporating the 2 fixes requested:
- Fix for to insert new data to multiple toast indexes in toast_save_datum if necessary
- Fix the lock wait phase with new function WaitForMultipleVirtualLocks allowing to perform a wait on multiple locktags at the same time. WaitForVirtualLocks uses also WaitForMultipleVirtualLocks but on a single locktag.

I am still looking at the approach removing reltoastidxid, approach more complicated but cleaner than what is currently done in the patch.

Regards,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2013-02-12 21:54:52 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Changing only toast_save_datum:
> >
> > [... code ...]
> >
> Yes, I have spent a little bit of time looking at the code related to
> retoastindxid and thought about this possibility. It would make the changes
> far easier with the existing patch, it will also be necessary to update the
> catalog pg_statio_all_tables to make the case where OID is InvalidOid
> correct with this catalog.

What I proposed above wouldn't need the case where toastrelidx =
InvalidOid, so no need to worry about that.

> However, I do not think it is as clean as simply
> removing retoastindxid and have all the toast APIs running consistent
> operations, aka using only RelationGetIndexList.

Sure. This just seems easier as it really only requires changes inside
toast_save_datum() and which mostly avoids any overhead (not even
additional palloc()s) if there is only one index.
That would lower the burden of proof that no performance regressions
exist (which I guess would be during querying) and the amount of
possibly external breakage due to removing the field...

Not sure whats the best way to do this when committing. But I think you
could incorporate something like the proposed to continue working on the
patch. It really should only take some minutes to incorporate it.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

--
 Andres Freund                     http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/