Re: pg_xlog -> pg_xjournal? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_xlog -> pg_xjournal?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 06/01/2015 04:22 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 8:17 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> Also ... if we were to rename it, it should be "pg_wal" or "pg_xact".
>>> Please let's not add yet another term for the WAL.
>>
>> +1 for pg_wal if it has to be renamed.
>>
>> If pg_clog also has to be renamed, how about using your other
>> suggestion "pg_xact" for that?  It fits alongside pg_multixact.
>
> Yes, or pg_commit would work too (it's the "commit log").
>
> However, choosing a new name is the easy part.

If we are talking about deletion of paths named as *log* here...
pg_commit sounds like a recipe for a user thinking something like
that: I have a long-running transaction and it *won't* commit, so
deleting pg_commit will enforce its rollback. Then let's delete it.
--
Michael