Re: [HACKERS] pg_resetwal is broken if run from v10 against olderversion of PG data directory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_resetwal is broken if run from v10 against olderversion of PG data directory
Date
Re: [HACKERS] pg_resetwal is broken if run from v10 against older version of PG data directory  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 9:00 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> So we need to prevent this, not try to make it work.  I don't think
> we can insist on a version match in pg_control, because part of the
> point of pg_resetxlog/pg_resetwal is to recover if pg_control is
> unreadable.  But I think we could look at PG_VERSION, which is only a
> text file.  In bad corruption scenarios, if that somehow got corrupted
> (which seems unlikely since it's never written to post-initdb),
> you could fill in the correct contents by hand and then
> pg_resetxlog/pg_resetwal would run.

Agreed. Shouldn't this be back-patched? PG_CONTROL_VERSION has not
been bumped between 9.4 and 9.5. Attached is a patch for HEAD.
--
Michael