Re: Speedup twophase transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Speedup twophase transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Nikhil Sontakke
<nikhils@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> The latest patch looks good. By now doing a single scan of shmem two phase
> data, we have removed the double loops in all the affected functions which
> is good.

Yup.

> My only question is if the added call to restoreTwoPhaseData() is good
> enough to handle all the 3 functions PrescanPreparedTransactions(),
> StandbyRecoverPreparedTransactions() and RecoverPreparedTransactions()
> appropriately? It looks as if it does, but we need to be doubly sure..

Yeah, I have spent a bit of time thinking about that. But as
restoreTwoPhaseData() is basically what those other three routines do
but at an earlier stage I cannot see a problem with it. I don't
discard being in shortage of imagination of course.

> PFA, revised patch with a very minor typo fix and rebase against latest
> master. The test cases pass as needed.

Thanks!

> Oh, btw, while running TAP tests, I got a few errors in unrelated tests.
> [...]
> Again, not related to this recovery code path, but not sure if others see
> this as well.

Definitely not related to this patch, and I am unable to see anything
like that. Even spurious errors merit attention, but even by running
those tests multiple times daily I have not seen anything like that.
That's mainly on OSX 10.11 though.

I don't have anything else to say about this patch, so should we mark
that as ready for committer? There are still a couple of days left
until the end of the CF, and quite a lot has happened, so this could
get on time into PG10.
--
Michael