Re: Fun fact about autovacuum and orphan temp tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Fun fact about autovacuum and orphan temp tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 12:15 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/16 8:47 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems to me that you'd even want to make the drop of orphaned
>>
>> If we are willing to do that then we don't really have to solve the
>> problem on the backend side.  One could expect that autovacuum would
>> clean things up within a few minutes after a backend failure.
>
> Unless all the autovac workers are busy working on huge tables... maybe a
> delay of several hours/days is OK in this case, but it's not wise to assume
> autovac will always get to something within minutes.

I am really thinking that we should just do that and call it a day
then, but document the fact that if one wants to look at the content
of orphaned tables after a crash he had better turn autovacuum to off
for the time of the analysis.
--
Michael