Re: Planning incompatibilities for Postgres 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Planning incompatibilities for Postgres 10.0
Date
Re: Planning incompatibilities for Postgres 10.0  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Michael Paquier escribió:
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> > On 05/25/2013 05:39 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > - Switching to single-major-version release numbering. The number of
> > people who say "PostgreSQL 9.x" is amazing; even *packagers* get this
> > wrong and produce "postgresql-9" packages. Witness Amazon Linux's awful
> > PostgreSQL packages for example. Going to PostgreSQL 10.0, 11.0, 12.0,
> > etc with a typical major/minor scheme might be worth considering.
> >
> In this case you don't even need the 2nd digit...

You do -- they are used for minor releases, i.e. 10.1 would be a bugfix
release for 10.0.  If we continue using the current numbering scheme,
10.1 would be the major version after 10.0.
Sorry for the confusion. I meant that the 2nd digit would not be necessary when identifying a given major release, so I just didn't get the meaning of what Craig said. As you say, you would still need the 2nd digit for minor releases.
--
Michael