Re: Planning incompatibilities for Postgres 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Planning incompatibilities for Postgres 10.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 07:39:35AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:
>
> > Michael Paquier escribió:

> > > In this case you don't even need the 2nd digit...
> >
> > You do -- they are used for minor releases, i.e. 10.1 would be a bugfix
> > release for 10.0.  If we continue using the current numbering scheme,
> > 10.1 would be the major version after 10.0.
> >
> Sorry for the confusion. I meant that the 2nd digit would not be necessary
> when identifying a given major release, so I just didn't get the meaning of
> what Craig said. As you say, you would still need the 2nd digit for minor
> releases.

What's been proposed before that wouldn't break previous applications
is a numbering system like this:

10.0.0
10.0.1
10.0.2
10.0.3
11.0.0
11.0.1

i.e. only change the "most-major" version number and always leave the
"less-major" number as zero.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!