Re: SET ROLE and reserved roles - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: SET ROLE and reserved roles
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> Is that behavior deliberate? Might it be better to handle the case
> specially much as setting to "none" works?  Such as:
>
> ERROR: cannot set to reserved role "pg_signal_backend"
>
> Sorry if I have missed any discussion where such a choice was deliberately
> made.

I agree that this is a bit surprising. We could do something like the
attached, and switch the error code to ERRCODE_RESERVED_NAME as well
without caring much if a system role exists or not, this does not seem
worth doing a catalog lookup:
=# set role to pg_test;
ERROR:  42939: role "pg_test" is reserved
LOCATION:  call_string_check_hook, guc.c:9788
=# set role to pg_signal_backend;
ERROR:  42939: role "pg_signal_backend" is reserved
LOCATION:  call_string_check_hook, guc.c:9788
--
Michael

Attachment