Re: [HACKERS] password_encryption, default and 'plain' support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: [HACKERS] password_encryption, default and 'plain' support
Date
Re: [HACKERS] password_encryption, default and 'plain' support  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:37 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> On 05/03/2017 08:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> The other question I can think to ask is what will happen during
>> pg_upgrade, given an existing installation with one or more passwords
>> stored plain.  If the answer is "silently convert to MD5", I'd be
>> good with that.
>

> Yes, it will silently convert to MD5. That happened even on earlier
> versions, if you had password_encryption=on in the new cluster (which was
> the default).
>
> I'm planning to go ahead with the attached patch for this (removing
> password_encryption='plain' support, but keeping the default as 'md5').

The patch attached does not apply on HEAD at 499ae5f, regression tests
are conflicting.

+        This option is obsolete but still accepted for backwards
+        compatibility.
Isn't that incorrect English? It seems to me that this be non-plural,
as "for backward compatibility".

The comment at the top of check_password() in passwordcheck.c does not
mention scram, you may want to update that.

+                       /*
+                        * We never store passwords in plaintext, so
this shouldn't
+                        * happen.
+                        */                       break;
An error here is overthinking?
-- consistency of password entries
-SET password_encryption = 'plain';
-CREATE ROLE regress_passwd1 PASSWORD 'role_pwd1';SET password_encryption = 'md5';
Nit: this is skipping directly to role number 2.
--
Michael