Re: [HACKERS] password_encryption, default and 'plain' support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] password_encryption, default and 'plain' support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/03/2017 08:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> The other question I can think to ask is what will happen during
> pg_upgrade, given an existing installation with one or more passwords
> stored plain.  If the answer is "silently convert to MD5", I'd be
> good with that.

Yes, it will silently convert to MD5. That happened even on earlier
versions, if you had password_encryption=on in the new cluster (which
was the default).

I'm planning to go ahead with the attached patch for this (removing
password_encryption='plain' support, but keeping the default as 'md5').

- Heikki