Re: BUG #13741: vacuumdb does not accept valid password - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: BUG #13741: vacuumdb does not accept valid password
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 12:06 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Why I used a double pointer is to support the scenario like the following.
> - There is no password requirement for Postgres, template1 and
> maintenance db that is provided by the user.
> - But there is a password requirement for user databases.
> - If user doesn't provide the password during connection to
> Maintenance database, later it prompts for
> password while connecting to user database.
> - Without the double pointer, further on for every database, it
> prompts for the password and also
>    the case of --analyze-in-stages prompts for password for the all the stages.

Yeah, I thought a bit about that while writing the last patch but
that's quite narrow, no? So I didn't think it was worth doing, the
approach to request a password only after connecting to the
maintenance database instead of relying on the first one given out by
user looked more simple and solid to me, and is able to cover all the
test scenarios either way as one can specify the maintenance database
he wishes to connect to.
Thoughts from other folks?
--
Michael