Re: [GENERAL] could not fdatasync log file: Input/output error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: [GENERAL] could not fdatasync log file: Input/output error
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 8:02 AM, said assemlal <said.assemlal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
>
> We are currently running postgresql-9.4.14
> I see there are some tools to check if the indexes/pages are not corrupted.
> But is there a faster way to check if a PGDATA instance is clean ?

Yes, there is something you could try. Peter Geoghegan (actually a
colleague) has been working on amcheck, which is aimed at checking
corrupted heap and btree pages so as you can detect corruptions at
https://github.com/petergeoghegan/amcheck. The master branch is able
to perform checks only on btree indexes (integrated in PG 10), and
Peter has been playing lately with heap checks in the branch
heap-check. The utility can be built using Postgres 9.4 and is
non-intrusive. I have not tested that much myself yet, but you could
run amcheck on this instance, *after* of course taking a cold copy of
the data folder and starting it on a safer host that you think has
non-busted disks.

Note that Peter has also worked on provising Debian packages for the
utility down to 9.4 if I recall correctly, which is nice, but if you
want the heap checks you will need to compile things by youself. We
are currently under way to get something improved in Postgres 11. I
should actually spare some time to look more at the patch concepts..
--
Michael