Re: Removing support for v1 and v2 protocols? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Removing support for v1 and v2 protocols?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just found a bug (followup mail to come) that seems to be tied up
> in support for the old v1/v2 protocols.
>
> Is there any reason to keep all that cruft? v3 was introduced in 7.4, in
> 2003-11-17 .
>
> Also, I'm wondering why psqlODBC does so much of its own protocol
> handling. It links to libpq, why doesn't it use it? There's a lot of
> complicated code in there - see, e.g. CC_send_query_append, that seems
> to duplicate much of what libpq its self does, and mix protocol handling
> up with client driver logic.

Please see here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqRuxEuBgM-us4oKsc-rB6qN84CgsOC8M0O+pyW2d_GUKA@mail.gmail.com
The plan is to wait a couple of weeks before Postgres 9.4 and then
integrate that in the driver for the first 9.4-XXXX release of the
ODBC driver. For now, this work is periodically rebased and stored on
my own pgodbc fork on github.

This cleanup is of course perfectible, but that's a first step into a
more maintainable code.
--
Michael