Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Blind attempt at a Cygwin fix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Blind attempt at a Cygwin fix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> I downloaded the official Cygwin packages into a Cygwin instance and checked
>> how they do things. As I rather expected, they do not use pg_ctl at all to
>> install or run as a service. Rather, they use the standard Cygwin service
>> utility cygrunsrv. This is all managed via a SYSV style init script.
>
> Thanks for the investigation!
>
>> So if anything I'd be inclined to disable all the service-related code in
>> pg_ctl for Cygwin, and treat it just as we treat Unix.
>
> We had better do the same for back branches then. Need of a patch?

OK, here is a patch to disable all the service-related code in pg_ctl
for cygwin. This time it is not a blind shot and this compiles
correctly. Changing the option layer is fine for me if this is
HEAD-only. For back-branches, I would suggest to do nothing, the
service-related code paths are not going to run anyway, any output
going to stderr.
--
Michael

Attachment