Re: So, can we stop supporting Windows native now? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: So, can we stop supporting Windows native now?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I completely agree there. I wrote some documentation on how to make project
> files to build extensions, but it'd be nice to *generate* them instead, like
> we do for in-tree builds.

Yes, I maintain some code that builds extension on Windows, those are
using the msvc scripts by linking to the tree directly, with some
custom-made wrappers for the calls that cannot be exported. That's
ugly, but anybody would have guessed that..

> The problem is that we don't install all the Perl build stuff on Windows,
> it's only in the build tree. The time consuming part wx  is
> / sll be cleaning that up so it can run outside src/tools/msvc, getting it
> to use pg_config, and making it installable. Then of course there's the
> issue that it won't be available before 9.7 at the soonest... unless some
> brave soul backports it as an installable add-on. Which means extension
> authors are still screwed for 5+ years. That's the main reason I haven't
> tackled it - so far I've got by pretty well with VS project files + property
> sheets, and any PGXS-like capability almost certainly couldn't be backported
> so it's nearly useless for about 5 years.

Still, it would be interesting to see how cmake affects this area of
the code before tackling anything, doing something now may be time
wasted for nothing at the end. So I would refrain from even putting
resources in this project.
--
Michael