Re: PostgreSQL Failback without rebuild - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Failback without rebuild
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM, James Sewell <james.sewell@lisasoft.com>
>> I've seen some proposals and a tool (pg_rewind), but all seem to have draw
>> backs.
>
> As far as I remember, one of the main drawbacks for pg_rewind was related to
> hint bits which can be avoided by wal_log_hints. pg_rewind is not part of
> core
> PostgreSQL code, however if you wish, you can try that tool to see if can it
> solve your purpose.
For 9.3, pg_rewind is only safe with page checksums enabled. For 9.4,
yes wal_log_hints or checksums is mandatory. The code contains as well
some safety checks as well to ensure that a node not using those
parameters cannot be rewinded.
Regards,
--
Michael