Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/03/2014 05:22 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>> >I lost my stomach (or maybe it was the glass of red) somewhere in the
>> >middle, but I think this needs a lot of work. Especially the io code
>> >doesn't seem ready to me. I'd consider ripping out the send/recv code
>> >for 9.4, that seems the biggest can of worms. It will still be usable
>> >without.
> Not having type send/recv functions is somewhat dangerous; it can
> cause problems for libraries that run everything through the binary
> wire format.  I'd give jsonb a pass on that, being a new type, but
> would be concerned if hstore had that ability revoked.

send/recv functions are also needed for binary-format COPY. IMHO jsonb
must have send/recv functions. All other built-in types have them,
except for types like 'smgr', 'aclitem' and 'any*' that no-one should be
using as column types.

- Heikki