Re: Let's drop two obsolete features which are bear-traps for novices - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Let's drop two obsolete features which are bear-traps for novices
Date
Re: Let's drop two obsolete features which are bear-traps for novices  ("ktm@rice.edu" <ktm@rice.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
class="gmail_quote"><blockquoteclass="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex">Inthe case of hash indexes, because we still have to have the hash<br /> opclasses in core,
there'sno way that it could be pushed out as an<br /> extension module even if we otherwise had full support for AMs
as<br/> extensions.  So what I hear you proposing is "let's break this so<br /> thoroughly that it *can't* be fixed".
I'mnot on board with that.<br /> I think the WARNING will do just fine to discourage novices who are<br /> not familiar
withthe state of the hash AM.  In the meantime, we<br /> could push forward with the idea of making hash indexes
automatically<br/> unlogged, so that recovering from a crash wouldn't be quite so messy/<br /> dangerous.<br