Re: all non-PK columns from information schema - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Cornett
Subject Re: all non-PK columns from information schema
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Richard Broersma <richard.broersma@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
<postgresql6@numerixtechnology.de> wrote:
> Interesting. I have previously used the information_schema for similar
> queries.
>
> What are the pros and cons for using either pg_catalog or
> information_schema?

My understanding is that pg_catalog tables and views *can* change
between major releases while the information_schema is expected to be
more stable between major releases.

Applications that depend upon the information_schema rather than
pg_catalog are less likely to break when the PostgreSQL server is
upgraded.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.