Re: Question regarding UTF-8 data and "C" collation on definition of field of table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dionisis Kontominas
Subject Re: Question regarding UTF-8 data and "C" collation on definition of field of table
Date
List pgsql-general
Because if I don't specify the collation/lctype it seems to get the default from the OS, which in my case is : English_Netherlands.1252 (database encoding UTF8). That might not be best for truly unicode content columns, so I investigated the "C" option, which also seems not  to work; might be worse.

To reframe my question, when you expect multilingual data in a column and the database encoding is utf8, which seems to accommodate the need for storage, what could be considered as best practice (if it can exist really) for collation and lctype?

On Mon, 6 Feb 2023 at 01:57, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
Why are you specifying the collation to be "C" when the default db encoding
is UTF8, and UTF-8 has Greek, Chinese and English encodings?

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.