Re: Date-time extraneous fields with reserved keywords - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joseph Koshakow
Subject Re: Date-time extraneous fields with reserved keywords
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 4, 2023 at 1:56 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>    I think we should tread very carefully about disallowing inputs that
>    have been considered acceptable for 25 years.  I agree with disallowing
>    numeric fields along with 'epoch' and 'infinity', but for example
>    this seems perfectly useful and sensible:
>
>    # select timestamptz 'today 12:34';
>          timestamptz
>    ------------------------
>     2023-03-04 12:34:00-05
>    (1 row)

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll leave it as is with
the explicit case for 'epoch', 'infinity', and
'-infinity'.

>    Why do you want to skip ValidateDate in some cases?  If we've not
>    had to do that before, I don't see why it's a good idea now.

This goes back to the abstraction break of
setting tmask without updating tm. Certain
validations will check that if a field is set in
fmask (which is an accumulation of tmask from
every iteration) then it's value in tm is valid.
For example:

    if (fmask & DTK_M(YEAR))
    {
        // ...
        else
        {
            /* there is no year zero in AD/BC notation */
            if (tm->tm_year <= 0)
                return DTERR_FIELD_OVERFLOW;
            }
    }

As far as I can tell dtype always equals DTK_DATE
except when the timestamp/date is 'epoch',
'infinity', '-infinity', and none of the
validations apply to those date/timestamps.
Though, I think you're right this is probably
not a good idea. I'll try and brainstorm a
different approach, unless you have some ideas.