Re: Date-time extraneous fields with reserved keywords - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Date-time extraneous fields with reserved keywords
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joseph Koshakow <koshy44@gmail.com> writes:
>   - I'm not sure if we should hard code in those
>   three specific reserved keywords or set tmask
>   in the default case.

I think we should tread very carefully about disallowing inputs that
have been considered acceptable for 25 years.  I agree with disallowing
numeric fields along with 'epoch' and 'infinity', but for example
this seems perfectly useful and sensible:

# select timestamptz 'today 12:34';
      timestamptz
 2023-03-04 12:34:00-05
(1 row)

> Any thoughts?

Why do you want to skip ValidateDate in some cases?  If we've not
had to do that before, I don't see why it's a good idea now.