Re: Fix formatting of Interval output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joseph Koshakow
Subject Re: Fix formatting of Interval output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 12:00 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I think that messing with struct pg_tm might have too many side-effects.
> However, pg_tm isn't all that well adapted to intervals in the first
> place, so it'd make sense to make a new struct specifically for interval
> decoding.

Yeah that's a good idea, pg_tm is used all over the place. Is there a
reason we need an intermediate structure to convert to and from?
We could just convert directly to an Interval in DecodeInterval and
print directly from an Interval in EncodeInterval.

Also I originally created a separate thread and patch because I
thought this wouldn't be directly related to my other patch,
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3541/. However I think with these
discussed changes it's directly related. So I think it's best to close
this thread and patch and copy this conversion to the other thread.
Sorry for fragmenting the conversation.

- Joe Koshakow