limitby without orderby - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Henry Drexler
Subject limitby without orderby
Date
List pgsql-general
From: Rohan Malhotra <yourbuddyrohan(at)gmail(dot)com>
select * from items order by random() limit 5;

my basic requirement is to get random rows from a table, my where clause
will make sure I won't get same rows in repeated execution of above queries.

--
Regards

To clarify, you are not looking for random then yes?  as you want to run select * from items order by random() limit 5; and not get repeating values - as if you are using random you will at times get repeating values.

You are wanting to get a gradually restrictive list(excluding those results you have received previously)? So each time you run the query you are guaranteed to get a new list of 5 rows?