Re: Materialized views in Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Materialized views in Oracle
Date
List pgsql-general

On 09/21/2011 11:34 PM, Mike Christensen wrote:

[ much omitted ]
> One of the major components I'm working on is this reporting engine
> that runs these major huge expensive queries (seriously, some of them
> take 2-3 minutes to run) to generate data that gets dumped to an Excel
> file for VPs to read (or make pretty charts out of and look smart in
> board rooms).  I've been trying to speed some of these queries up, but

I see a serious disconnect between "realtime" and "dumped to excel".
Even executives or large cell phone companies learn pretty quickly that
they had better run the 3 minute query 5 minutes before the have to go
to that meeting.